Updated police reports for the Downham Market area can be obtained from Police Connect. Go to http://www.norfolk.police.uk/footerspotlights/signup.aspx to sign up.
Heating Oil Thefts
Norfolk Police are urging residents to be vigilant as incidents of heating oil thefts often increase during the winter months.
General tips to protect your fuel include:
- Check oil levels frequently so you are aware if anyone has tampered with your supply, and consider an electronic oil level gauge which sets off an audible alarm in your house if the oil level drops below a quarter full.
- Fit a good quality locking device to all fuel tanks – a high quality closed shackle padlock will make access using bolt croppers very difficult.
- Consider perimeter security for the whole tank, such as a metal cage or fencing. Even a prickly hedge may help deter thieves. Remember, however, that the oil tanker driver will need to access it.
- Control switches should be located in a secure building and turned off when the tank is not in use.
- If you’re installing an oil tank or considering repositioning it, they should ideally be situated within sight of nearby occupied buildings. It may not be so aesthetically desirable, but the more remote the better the opportunity to access the tank without being seen.
- Consider appropriate lighting around the tank so you can see and anyone can be seen. Be considerate to your neighbours and don’t use high powered lights which affect their property. Lighting is not the answer to all problems and site specific advice should be taken where lighting is being considered.
If you have been a victim of oil theft, or have any information regarding heating oil thefts in general should contact Norfolk Police on 101or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
The following is a local policing update for Downham Market neighbourhood
Spread the word!
We are asking all readers of this newsletter to encourage their colleagues, friends and family sign up. Since the launch onPolice Connect in March 2016 each week has seen the number of subscribers increase and we have just passed the 1700 mark!
We really encourage those in the farming and agricultural communities especially.
You are our eyes and ears and we have certainly found that your calls and emails are helping us greatly, keep them coming in!
Please sign up at the below link and register on the Police Connect site. http://www.norfolk.police.uk/footerspotlights/signup.aspx
Or alternatively visit www.norfolk.police.uk down the left hand side you will see a series of logos, select Police Connect (a blue log with two arrows). This will open up the Police Connect sign up page, scroll to the bottom and click >>Register forPolice Connect.